Sunday, April 11, 2010

Dancing to yesterday

At first, I wasn't sure how I felt about the new Hawksley Workman song. There's been an irritating shift for rock bands to put out dance records that started a couple of years ago with Good Charlotte's Good Morning Revival in 2007, and has since spread to the likes of Simple Plan, Hedley, and Faber Drive. (I'm not a fan of all of these bands, but I listen to everything because how can I legitimately say I don't like an artist or band or song if I've never heard it/them at least once?)

I first heard Workman's "Dance to Yesterday" while driving to work one Sunday morning, and I immediately was disappointed that he would jump on such a silly bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE his music. But this song was just...weird. Observe:



Now, I have to say that it's grown on me. I really like this song. Why? Well, besides the fact that it's pretty impossible for me not to like everything Workman does, this song rings true for me. I've been listening to a lot of Oldies--'50s and '60s Oldies, not like 1994 Oldies!--and so I AM dancing to yesterday, in that sense. For me, this song is full of nostalgia, and that's been a theme for me lately (see previous post!).

No comments:

Post a Comment