Friday, June 25, 2010

Capturing a moment OR NXNE Day #3

Think back to the first time you saw your favourite band or were absolutely floored by a band you'd never heard of before live. Remember the tingling in your spine, the joy in your heart, that you'd really found something special. I had this experience on Friday, and I'll tell you about it a little later.

C and I's first engagement was a conference about touring in the U.S.. It was an interesting discussion on where and how to get gigs along the East Coast, and when Schubas was mentioned, I got to lean over and say "I've been there!"

Said the Whale were the first band at Yonge-Dundas Square. These guys are one of my favourite bands (yes I do say that a lot...I have about 100 Top 10 Favourite Bands), and I loved their set. I've said it before, and I'll say it again right now: "Camilo" has one of the cutest music videos EVER. Next up was K-OS; I'm not much of a fan, but his set was decent. Highlights for me were "Crabbuckit" and "I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman". We watched about half of Sloan's set before heading into the Hard Rock Cafe for --

MY NEW FAVOURITE BAND: Amos the Transparent! This band kicks ass. They have such intensity on stage, and they really connect with the audience (and I'm not just saying that because they hauled half the audience on stage for one song, either). I could tell they really love playing music. Even the bass player was singing along and trying to get the crowd into it.

After Amos, we saw a few of Hollerado's songs (thankfully including my fave, "Juliette." Super Spike is going to be so awesome!!!), before heading tot he Horseshoe Tavern for Mudhoney. Honestly, how could we not see Mudhoney, right? C went back to the apartment we rented instead of sticking around, but I had a blast. That band's still got it...whatever it is. I had hoped to catch Spirits afterwards, but due to a power outtage all along Queen Street, Mudhoney's set started at 2am instead of 1am and went til almost 3:30.

Needless to say, I was exhausted when I got home with my largest CD stash of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment