Friday, June 25, 2010

Outlaws and Gunslingers OR NXNE Day #2

Thursday (June 17) began with an interesting panel about US radio formats. Those in attendance were given rate cards, and then a song was played. When it was done, everyone held up a number from one to ten, depending on how much you liked the song (I also played the Guess the Artist Game in my head lol. My apologies to The Arcade Fire for calling them just another band that sounds like The Arcade Fire!).

C and I spent the evening at Lee's Palace for the Outlaws and Gunslingers showcase, which featured artists from Six Shooter Records. Andy Kim started the night with a decent set, but while I think he's a great singer, I wasn't moved by his original songs; his cover of "Sugar, Sugar" was easily the best tune in his set.

The next three sets consisted of three artists playing three songs each (yeah, I know). First up was Danny Michel, Justin Rutledge, and Oh Susanna. I had never heard any of Oh Susanna's stuff, but Danny and Justin are favourites of mine, and it was cool to hear them play on each other's songs.

Royal Wood, Andy Maize of the Skydiggers, and Amelia Curran were next. My second favourite part of the night was Amelia dancing spastically like Andy. To an outsider, one might think she was mocking him, but she opened for the Skydiggers on their recent cross-Canada tour, so it was done out of fun.

My favourite set of the night came from Hawksley Workman, Jim Cuddy, and Colleen Brown, and here's why: Jim Cuddy sang along with "Warhol's Protrait of Gretzky", eff words and all and it was great. Now, I also get to brag that while I was in Ottawa, we went to the art gallery and purchased postcards of Warhol's Portrait of Gretzky, and after the show I met Sir Workman and he merrily autographed said postcard. Best piece of memorabilia ever. It's okay if you're jealous.

The Beauties were up next with their raucous rockabilly set. I had never heard of them before, and I actually liked them a lot. We left after their set for some zzzs.

Day #3 featuring Said the Whale, Sloan, and my new favourite band is on deck...

Sorry this isn't from the show, but dangit, it's awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Bonnie,

    Just so you know, Andy Kim WROTE Sugar Sugar. So it's not a cover. ;)

    Love,
    Chrisy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stand corrected. Apologies to Andy Kim.

    ReplyDelete