Friday, March 5, 2010

MySpace

Said the Whale recently tweeted "Does anyone give a shit about MySpace anymore?"

It's an interesting question. My answer is easy: of course I do! Not because I find it to be a useful networking tool for myself (my only friends are musicians [SURPRISE!]), but it's absolutely the best place to find new music. I couldn't tell you how many hours I've spent hopping from one page to another, looking for...well, looking for something new that doesn't suck, frankly. We all know that for every 10 bands on MySpace, only 4 of them are worth listening to, but it still beats commercial radio by a mile!

I find the best thing to do when seeking out new ear candy is to go to one of your favourite band's pages, and click through their top friends. Musicians are a tight-knit group, and they will rarely steer you towards utter crap!

Here are a few of the bands I found on MySpace that don't suck:

Elias
Acres of Lions
How I Became the Bomb
Dog Day
The Februarys
We Are the Take
Eve and the Ocean
Paper Lions
Jane's Party
Mardeen

Bonus treat: If you have never seen this video, here's your chance to make your heart sparkle.

No comments:

Post a Comment