Thursday, November 5, 2009

Fanfiction


To some, this will sound ridiculous, and that's OK. Sometimes, things ARE ridiculous. I remember the exact moment when I realized I loved to write: I was in grade two, and our assignment was to write the first-person perspective of a joey--that's right, a baby kangaroo. I remeber sitting there, staring at my blank paper thinking, "What would a baby kangaroo be thinking about?" For some reason, my answer to this question was, "She'd be wishing she could watch Star Trek instead of doing her homework." Because kangaroos watch Star Trek and get homework.

This new love grew into a stack of half-finished ideas including, but not limited to: Batman meeting the Power Rangers; a couch that ate people; Mulder and Scully capturing Han Solo; and a few short stories about dragons that ultimately defeated the knights in shining armour.

When I was in high school, I used to get really bored in class. I would feign paying attention and writing notes, but in reality I was working on what my grade 10 teacher always referred to as my "Great Canadian Novel" (clearly, he was wise to my act). I never told him, but what I was working on wasn't very Canadian at all. My subject of choice then was usually Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I discovered FanFiction.Net in grade 11. It was a place for average people like me to post my stories and receive feedback from my readers. It was awesome! However, when I started university, my free time and desire to write were crushed by the mountains of essays that came up.

Over this past summer, I rekindled my relationship with my FF.Net profile. I started a Criminal Minds/Supernatural crossover story, which I have recently begun to edit and re-post. I can't lie; it's easier to stay on track when you have 57 strangers telling you they love your story.

So, why fanfic, you may wonder? Well, the answer is simple, actually. It's a lot of fun to play with other people's toys! Tired of the sexual tension between Morgan and Garcia? Fix it! Don't like that your favourite character died? Bring him back to life! Want to read more about your favourite villain? Go for it!

Intrigued? I hope so. Check it out for yourself, and see if you don't get hooked!

(Nathan Fillion photo courtesy of the World Wide Web.)

No comments:

Post a Comment