Tuesday, November 3, 2009

My life would suck without loud bands in dark rooms

A couple of weeks ago my mom asked me why I like to go to concerts. After of moment of silence as I pondered whether she had really just asked me such a silly question, I attempted to answer her.

This is what I said:

"Well, Mom, I like going to concerts because I love watching bands play their songs. It's like a confirmation that there are real people creating these sounds that regularly flow from my speakers or headphones. It's also important to me to make sure that the lead singer can actually sing. There's nothing more embarrassing than proclaiming a band to be "awesome," only to discover that the dude or dudette behind the mic wails like a bag of mentally disturbed cats."

My mom was not satisfied with this response. She went on to point out how much money I was spending, when I should be saving it for school, bills, gas, etc. "What's so great about having your ears blasted by too-loud noise?" she asked.

"That's why I where earplugs, Mom," I replied. "Besides, asking me why I like going to concerts is like me asking you why you watch movies. It's because you like to be entertained. Well, concerts are my entertainment. When I'm stressed out, I go to a gig. When you're stressed out, you watch 'Jaws'."

She finally sighed and said she still didn't get it. Oh well.

On the schedule:
Nov. 3 - Library Voices and Paper Lions @ Lo Pub
Nov. 4 - The Pack A.D. and Sit Down Tracy @ The Royal Albert
Nov. 7 - Quinzy @ the Academy
Nov. 10 - Melissa McClelland @ the West End Cultural Centre
Nov. 12 - Arkells with The Novaks @ the Pyramid
Nov. 13 - Sons of York @ the Park Theatre
Nov. 14 - Amelia Curran @ the West End Cultural Centre
Nov. 15 - Stone Temple Pilots @ the MTS Centre
Nov. 18 - The Trews @ the West End Cultural Centre
Nov. 21 - Matthew Good @ the Burton Cummings Theatre

No comments:

Post a Comment