Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Winnipeg music scene

It's no secret that I love local music.

Here are just a few of the bands that I will drop everything to go see (and about whom my mom has frequently said "Didn't you just see them?") :

TELE: This band's live show will floor you. If it doesn't, then your ears might be broken. The first time I saw them play was when I walked in halfway through their JunoFest set at the Pyramid waaaay back in 2005. Even squashed at the back of the room where I couldn't see anything, I was awed. I only heard two and a half songs, but it was enough for me to file away a note-to-self to check these guys out again ASAP. Matt Worobec is one of the best singers I've ever heard. TELE is currently hard at work on their next album, so there aren't any upcoming shows, but I'm sure they will be making special appearances at Quinzmas or the JP Hoe Hoe Hoe Holiday show.



Quinzy: Another fantastic live band, Quinzy writes catchy tunes that will make you dance or cry, and sometimes both. They just released their third EP, "Self-Defense", November 7. The gig was a "show-cial"; four acts opened with maybe ten minutes between them for tear-down and set-up (the "show" part) and there was a silent auction (the "social" part). Catch them next at the aforementioned Quinzmas, December 11 & 12 at the West End Cultural Centre.



JP Hoe: Always a good time, JP knows how to entertain a crowd. Whether it's bringing in Fred Penner to read the audience The True Story of Harry & the Hendersons, or throwing them a prom, it's impossible not to have fun. This year's JP Hoe Hoe Hoe Holiday show is going to be awesome.



Sons of York: These guys released their CD "Black and White Summer" November 13 to a crowd ready to dance and clap along with every song. SoY write catchy '60s-inspired ditties that are impossible not to enjoy.



Enjoy Your Pumas: I've only been able to catch these guys once, but they were very, very good. They just re-released their EP on Halloween. I'm sure they'll be announcing more shows soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment